Saturday, July 28, 2012

DIY Lamp Shade

When Craig and I got married I got these "oh those will work for now" lamps from Target. Don't get me wrong. I love Target. I did not love these lamps. I likes the price. Well, 3 years later I decided instead of getting rid of them, I would try to bring in a whole new look. 


**this lamp stand was originally black. I painted it with chalk paint
But I'll do another post about my love for chalk paint at another time!


So here is what I did:

Sadly, I was not wise enough to take step by step pics. Sorry.

Supplies:
burlap
 (duh - it's all the rage)
twine
fabric
(side note - you will find scraps of fabric tucked away in almost every drawer in my home. I can't get enough. Plus I always use my samples pieces the fabric store gives you for something.)
hot glue gun

1. Wrap burlap around lamp shade. 
(At least, that was my original plan. The whole "wrapping" process did not end up how I had planned so it turned into cutting 2 inch strips and wrapping those all around, using hot glue to keep them in place. Turns out I like the look of multiple strips better then one uniform piece anyways.)

2. Cut a long strip of your fabric.
(length and width will depend on how big you want your flower)
Now instead of going into detail about how to make a fabric flower, there are SO many links out there that give great step by step instructions. So here ya go.

3. Do the similar above steps with your twine.

4. Hot glue the mini twine flower to your large fabric flower.

5. Wrap your twine around the shade.
3-6 times based about how thick you want it. Hold it in place with a dab of hot glue. You might want to get an idea of where you want your flower first, so you know what level to wrap your twine at. 

6. Hot glue flower to lamp shade.

DONE!!




3 comments:

Erin said...

That is SOO fabulous!!! I may try to find a thrift store lamp so I can try that!!

Stephanie said...

SOO Cute! I love it!

Amanda said...

I love this!! You are so creative :) definitely going to have to make something like this soon :) thanks for the inspiration!